Friday, June 5, 2009

In Memorium


Late last week one of my Grandmothers passed away. She was in her 70's and had a wonderful life. She is survived by many, but loved by all. Her and my Grandpa live out of state in the country. As a child, my brother and I were really blessed because we had 2 and a half sets of grandparents ( 3 grandmas and 2 grandpas). About 10 years ago, we lost one of our grandfathers. Now, we're down to 2 grandmothers and 1 grandfather. Anyways, Grandpa seems to be doing as best as to be expected. He says he's "putting one foot in front of the other."
What I remember most about my Grandma is how long she always kept her hair. During the day, she always either wore it in a long braid or up in a bun, depending on what she was doing that day. I remember being in wonder at how long and beautiful her hair was when she brushed it out at the end of the day. (My other two grandmas keep their hair short). I remember Grandma's smile and how when she laughed she had this sparkle in her eyes. When we were kids, and even on the occasions later on when we visited my grandparents, she always made my grandpa breakfast (usually sausage in an iron skillet with toast and coffee) every morning. Sometimes it was only coffee, but she made sure he had everything he needed before she took care of herself or went off to work. When my brother was younger, he would go and visit my grandparents every summer for two weeks. He liked to help my grandpa in the chicken houses. I wasn't old enough to help and ususally didn't get to go that often in the summer because the two weeks my brother would go and visit, I usually had Girl Scout camp. I remember as a kid, her and my grandpa owned restaurants, too many to remember---they loved to cook and serve. They had this one restaurant (Mexican food was their favorite) where they had a game room in the back. All of us grandkids would get together and play in the gameroom before dinner and afterwards when all of the adults were talking. Every time we went to visit, there was always a new adventure waiting on us.
Grandma was someone you could always count on and loved you no matter what. She never passed judgement, but was always there to lend a hand. Her family was most important to her.
On our long drive to the graveside service, I wondered what she would say and think about all of the fuss for her. Standing there at her memorial, underneath the beautiful, shady trees with a slight breeze on a sunny and mildly warm day, I could see her, feel her, and hear her saying how much she loved each of us. Grandma loved the country and the fresh air. One of her favorite places was her backporch where she could sit for hours and enjoy the outdoors. She is at peace now.
Enjoy your NEW backporch, Grandma. And remember, Grandma, we love you! You will be missed...

No comments: